Dr. Ulcca Joshi Hansen on The Future of Smart
This episode of the Getting Smart Podcast is sponsored by our recent publication Designing Microschools: Why Small Learning Environments is a Big Idea.
On this episode of the Getting Smart Podcast, Rebecca Midles is joined by Dr. Ulcca Joshi Hansen, the Chief Program Officer at Grantmakers for Education. She is also the author of The Future of Smart: How Our Education System Needs to Change to Help All Young People Thrive.
Ulcca has a career built upon learner-centered and inclusive education policies and her new book looks for ways to incorporate those human-centered approaches alongside social justice and large-scale education reform.
Let’s listen in as they discuss identity, definitions of indigenous, codification of learning and more.
Quotes from the Book and Podcast:
- “Though I live in the United States, my perspective on education is shaped as much by placelessness as by American-ness”
- “For the story I’m telling, which begins in Europe before mass global colonization, I use the term Indigenous to refer to ways of being and organizing human life before the arrival of outside religious, political and economic forces—that is, life organized by intuitive, local values.”
- “So often in education we focus on the ‘what we are doing’ not the ‘how we are doing’”
- “The how is valuable in and of itself […] every moment matters”
- “The culture we live in is harming us. We have to make a shift to back to our personhood that allows us to feel whole.”
We are now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@TechiUpdate) and stay updated with the latest Technology headlines.
For all the latest Education News Click Here