Elon Musk’s Twitter takeover deal put on ice
Elon Musk said on Friday his $US44-billion deal for Twitter was temporarily on hold, citing pending details on spam and fake accounts.
“Twitter deal temporarily on hold pending details supporting calculation that spam/fake accounts do indeed represent less than 5% of users,” Musk said in a tweet.
Shares of the social media company fell 20 per cent in premarket trading. Twitter did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The company had earlier this month estimated that false or spamaccounts represented fewer than 5 per cent of its monetisable daily active users during the first quarter.
It also said it faced several risks until the deal with Musk is closed, including whether advertisers would continue to spend on Twitter.
Musk, the world’s richest man and the chief executive of Tesla, had said that one of his priorities would be to remove “spam bots” from the platform.
Earlier, two senior Twitter leaders who oversee the consumer and revenue divisions announced they would depart the social media company, chief executive officer Parag Agrawal told employees in a memo.
It was the biggest shake-up at the company since Musk announced he would buy the company.
Agrawal also said in the memo that Twitter would pause most hiring and review all existing job offers to determine whether any “should be pulled back.”
We are now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@TechiUpdate) and stay updated with the latest Technology headlines.
For all the latest Education News Click Here