Notice: amp_is_available was called incorrectly. `amp_is_available()` (or `amp_is_request()`, formerly `is_amp_endpoint()`) was called too early and so it will not work properly. WordPress is currently doing the `pre_get_posts` hook. Calling this function before the `wp` action means it will not have access to `WP_Query` and the queried object to determine if it is an AMP response, thus neither the `amp_skip_post()` filter nor the AMP enabled toggle will be considered. It appears the theme with slug `publisher` is responsible; please contact the author. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 2.0.0.) in /home/runcloud/webapps/techilive/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5313
Reds capitalise on Chiefs' ill-discipline -

Reds capitalise on Chiefs’ ill-discipline


It took 14 matches over three weeks but the Queensland Reds finally got Australia on the board in Super Rugby Trans-Tasman with a 40-34 victory over the Chiefs in Townsville on Saturday.

Photo: Brendan Hertel/QRU


New Zealand teams had won all of the first 13 contests in the competition, a streak continued on Saturday with third straight wins over Australian opposition for the Crusaders and Blues.

A rout looked on the cards when the Super Rugby AU champion Reds raced out to a 33-3 halftime lead after Chiefs playmaker Damian McKenzie had been dismissed for a dangerous tackle in the 22nd minute.

Five tries in the last half an hour brought the Super Rugby Aotearoa runners-up to within a score of a sensational comeback, however, and it was with relief rather than triumph that the Reds kicked the ball into touch to end the contest.


“It was a lot tighter than we’d have really wanted it,” said Reds co-captain Liam Wright.

“We gave ourselves an electric start, capitalised on some ill-discipline. Yeah, really not happy with that second half … but we got the win we wanted in front of our Queensland fans.”

Chiefs back Damien McKenzie.


Damien McKenzie sits out after being red carded.
Photo: Brendan Hertel/QRU

The Chiefs already had winger Chase Tiatia in the sinbin for a knock-down that saw the Reds awarded an early penalty try when All Blacks fullback McKenzie crashed into the head of Tate McDermott and was shown the red card.

The incident came during the move that led to Reds centre Isaac Henry scoring the first of his two tries in his first Super Rugby start, giving the home side a 12-3 lead.


By the time Shaun Stevenson came on in the 43rd minute to replace McKenzie, as allowed under law variations used in the competition, Henry had added his second try and winger Suliasi Vunivalu and prop Feao Fotuaika had also crossed.

Flanker Pita Gus Sowakula scored a first try for the Chiefs in the 52nd minute to cut the deficit to 33-8 and further scores from Tupou Vaa’i, Reuben O’Neill, Bailyn Sullivan and Xavier Roe followed as the visitors ran riot.

Winger Filipo Daugunu had added a sixth try for the Reds in the 57th minute, however, and that ultimately proved decisive.


– Reuters

Stay connected with us on social media platform for instant update click here to join our  Twitter, & Facebook


We are now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@TechiUpdate) and stay updated with the latest Technology headlines.

For all the latest Sports News Click Here 

 For the latest news and updates, follow us on Google News


Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a comment