Salah, Haaland join Messi, Ronaldo in shortlist for FIFA annual Best Player Awards
FIFA Best Awards 2020-21: Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel, Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola along with Euro 2020-winning Roberto Mancini of Italy have been nominated for the best men’s coach award.
Mohamed Salah, Kylian Mbappé, Erling Haaland, Kevin De Bruyne were among the ones shortlisted for men’s annuaal FIFA award (AP Photo)
- Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar and Mbappe feature in shortlist for men’s player award
- Pep Guardiola and Thomas Tuchel among shortlisted coaches
- The winners will be announced at a virtual ceremony held on January 17, 2022
Liverpool’s star forward Mohamed Salah, Borussia Dortmund star Erling Halaand and Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema along with usual suspects Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Neymar, Kylian Mbappe and Robert Lewandowski were nominated for the Best FIFA Men’s Player Award 2021.
Chelsea won the Champions League last season and England reached the Euro 2020 final but no English player has made the shortlist for the annual award for the men’s player.
Meanwhile, Jorginho, a double European champion with Chelsea and Italy, was joined by club teammate N’Golo Kanté among 11 candidates to be voted FIFA’s best player in the 2020-21 season.
Votes from national team captains and coaches, fans and media worldwide will be collected through December 10.
The winners will be announced at a virtual ceremony held on January 17, 2022 because of the Covid-19 pandemic, from FIFA headquarters in Zurich.
Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo took their usual places on the list with last year’s winner, Robert Lewandowski. Mohamed Salah, Kylian Mbappé, Erling Haaland, Kevin De Bruyne, Karim Benzema and Neymar complete the shortlist decided by a FIFA-appointed panel.
Italy’s goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma is among the five goalkeepers along with Denmark and Leicester City goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel for the goalkeeper award.
Meanwhile, Chelsea’s Thomas Tuchel has been nominated for the Best Men’s coach award alongside Pep Guardiola and Italy coach Roberto Mancini.
BEST FIFA AWARDS 2021: FULL LIST OF NOMINEES
The Best FIFA Women’s Player:
- Stina Blackstenius (Sweden / BK Häcken)
- Aitana Bonmatí (Spain / FC Barcelona)
- Lucy Bronze (England / Manchester City WFC)
- Magdalena Eriksson (Sweden / Chelsea FC Women)
- Caroline Graham Hansen (Norway / FC Barcelona)
- Pernille Harder (Denmark / Chelsea FC Women)
- Jennifer Hermoso (Spain / FC Barcelona)
- Ji Soyun (Korea Republic / Chelsea FC Women)
- Sam Kerr (Australia / Chelsea FC Women)
- Vivianne Miedema (Netherlands / Arsenal WFC)
- Alexia Putellas (Spain / FC Barcelona)
- Christine Sinclair (Canada / Portland Thorns FC)
- Ellen White (England / Manchester City WFC)
The Best FIFA Men’s Player:
- Karim Benzema (France / Real Madrid CF)
- Kevin De Bruyne (Belgium / Manchester City FC)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal / Juventus FC / Manchester United FC)
- Erling Haaland (Norway / BV Borussia 09 Dortmund)
- Jorginho (Italy / Chelsea FC)
- N’Golo Kanté (France / Chelsea FC)
- Robert Lewandowski (Poland / FC Bayern München)
- Kylian Mbappé (France / Paris Saint-Germain)
- Lionel Messi (Argentina / FC Barcelona / Paris Saint-Germain)
- Neymar (Brazil / Paris Saint-Germain)
- Mohamed Salah (Egypt / Liverpool FC)
The Best FIFA Women’s Coach:
- Lluís Cortés (Spain / FC Barcelona)
- Peter Gerhardsson (Sweden / Swedish national team)
- Emma Hayes (England / Chelsea FC Women)
- Beverly Priestman (England / Canadian national team)
- Sarina Wiegman (Netherlands / Dutch national team / English national team)
The Best FIFA Men’s Coach:
- Antonio Conte (Italy / FC Internazionale Milano / Tottenham Hotspur FC)
- Hansi Flick (Germany / FC Bayern München / German national team)
- Pep Guardiola (Spain / Manchester City FC)
- Roberto Mancini (Italy / Italian national team)
- Lionel Sebastián Scaloni (Argentina / Argentinian national team)
- Diego Simeone (Argentina / Atlético de Madrid)
- Thomas Tuchel (Germany / Chelsea FC)
The Best FIFA Women’s Goalkeeper
- Ann-Katrin Berger (Germany / Chelsea FC Women)
- Christiane Endler (Chile / Paris Saint-Germain / Olympique Lyonnais)
- Stephanie Lynn Marie Labbé (Canada / FC Rosengård / Paris Saint-Germain)
- Hedvig Lindahl (Sweden / Atlético de Madrid Femenino)
- Alyssa Naeher (USA / Chicago Red Stars)
The Best FIFA Men’s Goalkeeper:
- Alisson Becker (Brazil / Liverpool FC)
- Gianluigi Donnarumma (Italy / AC Milan / Paris Saint-Germain)
- Édouard Mendy (Senegal / Chelsea FC)
- Manuel Neuer (Germany / FC Bayern München)
- Kasper Schmeichel (Denmark / Leicester City FC)
Click here for IndiaToday.in’s complete coverage of the coronavirus pandemic.
We are now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@TechiUpdate) and stay updated with the latest Technology headlines.
For all the latest Sports News Click Here